What help and resources are available?
Pond Creation Toolkit
The Pond Creation Toolkit includes a range of factsheets available to download freely. Click on the bold text below to go to the right section or see an overview of the Pond Creation Toolkit here.
The Pond Creation Toolkit includes:
- Core factsheets 1 to 8 with background information on the project and the best practice principles of clean water pond creation, such as location, design, project planning and implementation.
- Habitat factsheets, which present detailed information on designing ponds in different landuses, e.g. woodland, grassland etc.
- Advice factsheets, which deal with issues such as birdstrike, planning permission, and ponds in public access areas.
- Species dossiers with technical information on creating ponds specifically for over 40 pond-associated BAP species, based on their ecological requirements.
- Aggregates factsheets specifically targeted at pond creation on mineral sites.
- Case studies.
- Coming soon. A welsh version of the Pond Creation Toolkit.
The Pond Creation toolkit also includes the BAP species map, which helps you find out which pond-associated BAP species occurs in a particular area.
Our policy as an organisation is to make all the information we produce open access, without restriction; so all parts of the Million Ponds Project Toolkit are completely free for everyone to download and use.
As a charity, we rely on donations to create resources accessible to all, so please support our work by joining us - you can become a Pond Conservation supporter from £5 a month.
We provide bespoke pond creation and management training courses to partners and non-parter organisations. The cost of the course depends on its locations, length and content. if you would like further information, please contact: email@example.com
On-site advice is available from our technical staff for larger pond creation schemes (e.g. where 5 or more new ponds are planned). A fee may be charged to support our staff costs. If you would like assistance on your pond creation scheme please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01865 483249.
Ponds for BAP amphibians and reptiles
Pond creation for amphibians and grass snakes is an important part of the Million Ponds Project and this is being coordinated by Amphibian and Reptile Conservation.
You can also find out more about how the Million Ponds Project is working together with Amphibian and Reptile Conservation and the voluntary Amphibian and Reptile Groups of the UK (ARG UK) to help conserve our native amphibians and reptiles by visiting their websites.